I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Monday, November 1, 2010
The Arkansas Baptist State Convention
On Tuesday, October 26, Williams chartered a bus to drive a small group of students out to Jonesboro to attend the Arkansas Baptist State Convention. I believe that this convention is held every year, but usually it is too far away from Williams for any students except the Singers (the choral group) to attend.
I chose to go for two reasons: to hear the Singers perform, and to get extra points for my Speech class by evaluating the speaker.
Many different organizations had booths set up in one of the huge rooms in this church (I can't remember which room it was; maybe the fellowship hall?), and of course we visited the Williams booth.
I am constantly amazed at how powerful music is. I know different music affects people in different ways, but choral music (when performed well) makes me want to soar out of the ceiling. That is exactly how I felt Tuesday night with the Singers' performance of a beautiful arrangement of "How Great Thou Art."
The speech that I evaluated was given by Dr. Swaim, about how the older generation needs to reach out to the college age generation. He had definitely considered his audience: most of the people sitting in the pews were older couples.
After the speeches (another fellow gave what I considered to be a sermon, very well written and thought-provoking about how we should lead in times when "the cup is empty") we all headed up to the balcony where Williams hosted a reception. The students in the line around me were very impressed by the punch fountain, so I had to get a picture. :-)
This is my friend Jessica, who is also in Speech class. We sat next to each other on the way to Jonesboro, during the service, and then again on the way home. Don't you just love pictures taken in the dark? ;-)
I chose to go for two reasons: to hear the Singers perform, and to get extra points for my Speech class by evaluating the speaker.
Many different organizations had booths set up in one of the huge rooms in this church (I can't remember which room it was; maybe the fellowship hall?), and of course we visited the Williams booth.
I am constantly amazed at how powerful music is. I know different music affects people in different ways, but choral music (when performed well) makes me want to soar out of the ceiling. That is exactly how I felt Tuesday night with the Singers' performance of a beautiful arrangement of "How Great Thou Art."
The speech that I evaluated was given by Dr. Swaim, about how the older generation needs to reach out to the college age generation. He had definitely considered his audience: most of the people sitting in the pews were older couples.
After the speeches (another fellow gave what I considered to be a sermon, very well written and thought-provoking about how we should lead in times when "the cup is empty") we all headed up to the balcony where Williams hosted a reception. The students in the line around me were very impressed by the punch fountain, so I had to get a picture. :-)
This is my friend Jessica, who is also in Speech class. We sat next to each other on the way to Jonesboro, during the service, and then again on the way home. Don't you just love pictures taken in the dark? ;-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment