I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Monday, November 1, 2010
Working on the decorations for our hall
Apparently every fall the Student Activities group funds this activity that they call Hall Wars. It is a time when the different hallways of girls in the women's dorm compete against each other. There is more than one competition, but this last one was that each hall had to decorate their hallway according to a specific theme. The overall theme of these competitions was Disney, so each hall was given a different Disney movie. I live on Lower West, and our theme was Cinderella.
You wouldn't imagine how differently these halls looked once they were all bedecked with paper, paint, cloth, and all other sorts of craft supplies. Here are a few shots that I took while my hall mates were starting to put things up.
They covered the ceiling with blue cloth, which dimmed the lights and gave a dreamy atmosphere.
This was the beginning of the pumpkin. They used chicken wire, stuffed all the holes with toilet paper, then spray-painted the toilet paper (you guessed it) "pumpkin orange." It marked the transition from when she was cleaning in the stepmother's house to the period where she met the prince and became a princess.
Rachel (my roommate) did most of the spray painting. Even though we used a poster board to keep from painting the walls, the mist from the spray paint can floated all through the air and gave the surrounding floor a very pronounced orange tint. Rachel nearly had a heart-attack when she saw it -- we weren't supposed to get paint anywhere permanently. She rushed to get some rubbing alcohol and fingernail polish remover, which she used to get the orange up. I joked that she was our real-life Cinderella. :-D
Towards the end of the hall they used a star as a stencil to decorate the walls (which we had covered with white paper) with blue star shapes. Rachel had a blue hand for several days.
All of the decorating had to be finished by 10 o'clock on Friday morning. Thursday evening some people didn't go to bed until 3 o'clock (which I guess would actually be Friday morning...), and some never went to bed. I couldn't manage that... although I did stay up till 11:30, which is way past my normal bed time. :-)
You wouldn't imagine how differently these halls looked once they were all bedecked with paper, paint, cloth, and all other sorts of craft supplies. Here are a few shots that I took while my hall mates were starting to put things up.
They covered the ceiling with blue cloth, which dimmed the lights and gave a dreamy atmosphere.
This was the beginning of the pumpkin. They used chicken wire, stuffed all the holes with toilet paper, then spray-painted the toilet paper (you guessed it) "pumpkin orange." It marked the transition from when she was cleaning in the stepmother's house to the period where she met the prince and became a princess.
Rachel (my roommate) did most of the spray painting. Even though we used a poster board to keep from painting the walls, the mist from the spray paint can floated all through the air and gave the surrounding floor a very pronounced orange tint. Rachel nearly had a heart-attack when she saw it -- we weren't supposed to get paint anywhere permanently. She rushed to get some rubbing alcohol and fingernail polish remover, which she used to get the orange up. I joked that she was our real-life Cinderella. :-D
Towards the end of the hall they used a star as a stencil to decorate the walls (which we had covered with white paper) with blue star shapes. Rachel had a blue hand for several days.
All of the decorating had to be finished by 10 o'clock on Friday morning. Thursday evening some people didn't go to bed until 3 o'clock (which I guess would actually be Friday morning...), and some never went to bed. I couldn't manage that... although I did stay up till 11:30, which is way past my normal bed time. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment