I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Friday, November 12, 2010

Homecoming/Parents' Day

Two Saturdays ago, on the 30th of October (yes, I'm behind), Williams celebrated Homecoming and Parents' Day on the same day.  I don't know if they usually combine the two; this was my first time to be at either!

My accounting professor found out on Thursday that I was ahead on my accounting homework, so she asked if I could help the business club here at Williams (Phi Beta Lambda) sell Homecoming T-shirts.  I said I could. 

When we first started working on Saturday morning, around 10 o'clock, one of the business majors and I took some shirts over to the Maddox building, where the Singers and English Department groups were meeting.  Unfortunately, we arrived after they all did and we weren't able to sell any shirts.  So we went back outside to the table under a pop-tent on the lawn in front of the Manley Chapel.

It was a beautiful morning -- sunny, and not too cold.  The only problem was the wind.  They had rented a big tent for protection while people were eating lunch, but this tent ended up not providing any protection at all.  It was basically a parachute that someone had transformed into a tent, and after various people battled to keep it down for a couple of hours the wind finally got the upper hand and blew the whole thing over.

Watching it topple over was a rather spectacular show!

I ended up spending about an hour and a half standing at the Phi Beta Lambda booth, but didn't manage to sell one T-shirt.  :-}  The problem was that the alumni were still in their meetings, and no one was walking through the exhibits.  At lunch I met my algebra professor (he's a main member in the business department), who joked with me that my grade depended on how many shirts I sold.  So much for passing that class...  :-D

At one o'clock two groups performed in the Manley Chapel: the Cast (WBC's acting team) and Singers (as previously described, WBC's choral group).  You are required to audition if you want to join these groups, so the quality of the performance is quite high.

The Cast performed first.  They work on skits during the fall semester, then during the spring semester they travel to different churches to perform these skits.  Most of them have a Gospel-evangelism-discipleship purpose, which is why they perform in churches.

One of the skits they performed for us was based on 1 Corinthians 13, the chapter that talks about love.  The fellow had determined to live this kind of love.  Here he is at "Starbucks," learning how to live the love that "bears all things."  The whole thing was quite hilarious. 

Next the current Singers group performed.  They sang the three songs that they had sung at the Arkansas Baptist Convention I attended a few weeks ago. 

Then Dr. Magee called up all the Singers who had returned for Homecoming, and together the whole big group sang a song they had worked on that morning.  Talk about learning a song quickly!  Well, the current Singers did get to practice it a few times earlier in the week... but still...

The exciting thing for me was that I have sung the song they sang!  As the pianist played the opening stanzas, my ears perked up.  It took me a couple of moments to remember where I had sung it, but soon it came to me -- it was one of the songs that we sang in Choir Camp two (or was it three?) years ago.  The title of the song is "The Majesty and Glory of Your Name," by Tom Fettke, and it was so wonderful to hear it again.  I sang along (under my breathe) when I could.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment