I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Before the wedding

I realize that I should have given a little more context about where I am.  :-)  Last weekend I went to Texas, for Debra and Joel's wedding, and this weekend I am at Grandmother and Granddaddy's house for Fall Break.  So I am not on campus!  It's been such a great weekend so far -- I've had time to do things with Grandmother and Granddaddy, as well as keeping on top of homework.

Last weekend, which I spent in Texas, was quite a whirlwind of activity.  I was so glad to see everyone again!  I didn't get a lot of pictures of the wedding, because 1) I knew that the professional photographer could get better pictures than I; 2) people (Debra in particular) probably wouldn't have appreciated another camera in the face; and 3) I was hardly in one place long enough to get pictures!  I did manage to take a few, so here are some of them.

These were the favors that Mrs. Lett and Aurianna made, out of cloth, tull, and a couple of Jordan Almonds.  That was supposed to be a pun on Joel and Debra Jorden.  :-)  I don't know how they managed to get them all wrapped up so fancily, but they were quite attractive.


Here's a close-up, where you can actually see the almond inside.

I figured I'd better get pictures of the cakes before the ceremony, since I didn't think I would get back over to them afterward until they were already cut.   This was the groom's cake, made by a friend of the Jorden's.

And Mrs. Huffstutler, a friend of ours from church, made the bride's cake.  She said it was the first time that she had ever made one.  What an impressive cake, for her first one!

Debra had asked the Holman ladies to be in charge of the food at the reception.

Discussing last minute details about decorations in the fellowship hall...  (Aurianna, Abby and Mrs. Latham, Mrs. Lett).

Discussing things with the cooks (no, Debra is not yelling at them; she was just excited about how they had gotten everything together.  I wouldn't have used this picture except that it's the only one I have of Debra with the Holman's).

These lily arrangements marked the pews that were reserved for the family members of the bride and groom.

The unity candles.  The little cup you see on the table behind the big stand was for snuffing out the candles.  When Debra and Mama shopped around for where to borrow candle lighters, they were under the impression that they would receive a candle snuffer in the package.  That was not the case, but Juli's demi-tasse tea cup served the purpose just as well.

The middle one, up close:

Daddy, preparing the slide show that was composed of pictures of Joel and Debra in different stages of life.

 Receiving instructions on how to hold the fragile bouquets.  The flowers for these bouquets were somewhat of a disappointment: they were not as fresh as could be preferred.  But we all just carried them very delicately and managed not to lose too many petals.
This is Mrs. Lett and Rose.  Rose was actually not a bridesmaid; I'm not sure why she was being instructed on how to carry the bouquet. 

The special lady herself, getting last minute adjustments done by the presiding seamstress.

And that's the majority of the pictures that I took before the wedding!  I'm looking forward to when the professional pictures come out, because I'm sure that there will be several better ones than what I would have been able to get.

1 comment:

  1. What impressive, lovely flowers!
    It must have been such a sweet wedding.

    ReplyDelete