I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Tuesday, June 8, 2010
Kombucha!!!
I'm so excited! Today was the 20th day after I started brewing my kombucha. For those who don't know, that is fermented tea -- yes, it sounds odd, but it's full of all kinds of good bacteria. Do a search on Google for more info. :-)
Anyway, today I took out the jar from under the bathroom sink and lifted the dishtowel. It looked really weird, like the fat that rises from broth when you let it sit in the refrigerator. I was surprised that the "baby" scoby was so big! It was just about the same size as the "mama," which I had received from a very good friend named Nicole.
But once I pulled out the mushrooms and separated them, there was the kombucha! It looked just like I thought it should -- and was even slightly fizzy. :-) I poured it up into the (sterilized) jars, then called Juli to come look. It also struck me that I should take some pictures.
Gretchen took the second one; she said that I needed to be with it, since I made it.
I wasn't sure if it was okay to drink before it had refrigerated for awhile, but Juli asked if we could taste some so I thought "why not?" :-D It tasted very crisp and refreshing, and reminded Juli of the drink she makes when she dilutes apple cider vinegar and stevia.
I'm so happy it turned out well, the first time! It was sad to have to throw away the extra scoby, but oh well.... I don't have another gallon jar, so I'll have to wait until next time.
Yay!!!
Anyway, today I took out the jar from under the bathroom sink and lifted the dishtowel. It looked really weird, like the fat that rises from broth when you let it sit in the refrigerator. I was surprised that the "baby" scoby was so big! It was just about the same size as the "mama," which I had received from a very good friend named Nicole.
But once I pulled out the mushrooms and separated them, there was the kombucha! It looked just like I thought it should -- and was even slightly fizzy. :-) I poured it up into the (sterilized) jars, then called Juli to come look. It also struck me that I should take some pictures.
Gretchen took the second one; she said that I needed to be with it, since I made it.
I wasn't sure if it was okay to drink before it had refrigerated for awhile, but Juli asked if we could taste some so I thought "why not?" :-D It tasted very crisp and refreshing, and reminded Juli of the drink she makes when she dilutes apple cider vinegar and stevia.
I'm so happy it turned out well, the first time! It was sad to have to throw away the extra scoby, but oh well.... I don't have another gallon jar, so I'll have to wait until next time.
Yay!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wonderful!
ReplyDeleteYay! Welcome to the fermented world.:) What are you going to flavor it with?
ReplyDelete