I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekend in Jonesboro

Last weekend I went home with my roommate to meet her family and visit her church.  She lives in Jonesboro, about 40 minutes from campus, so she goes home fairly often throughout the semester (though rarely during the week). 

On our way to her house we stopped at Turtle Creek Mall to see if we could find a couple of things I was needing.  We didn't find them, but we did get a picture of ourselves!  I think that pictures you take of yourself with that particular setting on your camera usually look funny... but oh well.  I also wish I had taken off my sunglasses.  :-)

On Sunday morning she and her mom take care of the 0-23 month-olds during Sunday school, so I joined them.  We only had two babies: a younger one who cried for awhile before finally going to sleep, and an older one who was much more active.

That afternoon Rachel and I visited Craighead Lake, which is near their house.  It has a lovely walking trail all around it, as well as a couple of playscape areas and some booths set up at various points.  You aren't allowed to swim, but there are some boat docks and we also saw several people fishing.

We had taken bread to feed the ducks and geese.  The first ones we came upon were a mother and her three ducklings, but as we were starting to throw the bread in their direction three older ducks came up and chased them off!  :-(  I rolled my pieces of bread into tighter balls and threw them farther, so that they would reach the mother and her little ones.  :-)

Further along we came to a group of geese, some in the water and some out.  Rachel took this picture of me.

This one seems to be saying, "Aren't you going to throw some to me?" 

At one point along the trail we came to a tall stump of a tree that had been cut down when it was very old.  I instantly wanted to climb up.  :-)  I almost wish I hadn't, though, because there was a family right behind us and as soon as we moved on one of the sons jumped up on top.  I hope his parents didn't mind...

You can never outgrow swings! 

When we were almost back to her car, I saw a beautiful monarch butterfly hovering around a bush.  I really wanted a picture of it, since it seemed to stay fairly still.  As I approached the bush, however, I heard a squeaking sound from the hillocks of grass underneath the bush.  I squeezed as far as I could into the bush to find out what it was.  My first thought was that it was a family of some water rodent, and the little ones were squeaking as they tried to get away from my foreboding presence.  Much to my surprise, it wasn't anything like that -- it was a snake, eating a frog!  I didn't even know that frogs could squeak, but I guess I would too if I were getting eaten.  I managed to see it before the frog disappeared, but didn't think about taking a picture until the snake shut its mouth.  If you look carefully, though, you can see the lump in the snake's throat that testifies to its meal.

Rachel was, of course, earnestly begging me to get out of there, but I wasn't worried.  That snake couldn't do anything to me anyway, with its mouth full like that!

Unfortunately, I didn't remember until we had walked on a little farther that I had missed getting a picture of the butterfly.  Oh well...  A photographer must be content with what he gets! 

1 comment: