I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Thursday, November 25, 2010

A trip to Mammoth Springs and the "Spring Dipper"

I've made friends of several upper-class men here at Williams.  The fun part of it is that they have all these "Williams traditions" which they to introduce to freshmen, so I've been having a good time with these new activities.  One of these traditions is to visit the town of Mammoth Springs, about an hour away from campus, to have ice cream at the local ice cream parlor. 

Last Saturday, after supper, a large group of us gathered in the girls' public lobby to decide who would ride with whom.  I ended up riding with some of my really close friends in his truck, along with a transfer student that I didn't know very well.  That gave us a chance to get to know each other better!  :-)

Apparently the 'real' attraction of Mammoth Springs is to see the spring that is the source of the Spring river.  I did not know this until several days after I got back from this town; I was under the impression that the most important part of this town was the ice cream parlor.  I assume that my friends know about the spring, too... but maybe not.  :-}  We went at night anyway, when it was pitch dark, so we couldn't have seen the spring even if we wanted to.

The Spring Dipper is a mom and pop ice cream parlor right on the edge of town.  They have many very interesting flavors of ice cream that they make themselves -- such as Purple Cow, Blue Moon, Purple People Eater, and Butter Brickle.  :-)

Look at all those choices!

One of their specialties is what they call the "Trough."  It's definitely something that several people share, because it's basically a glorified banana split: you get either 12 or 17 scoops of ice cream!  You can choose whatever flavors you want, and then put all kinds of toppings on it..  Four of our group decided to do that.  Actually, there were six to begin with, so they decided to get the 17-scooper.  At the last minute two people opted out, for whatever reason.  It wasn't a problem, though; the group figured that someone would manage to finish it off.
Here's the fellow, dipping out their various choices.

This was the final result!

A couple of the braver students bought themselves a liter of coke as well -- coke made with cane sugar instead of corn syrup.  I didn't know that other soda manufacturers (besides Dr Pepper) made a version with cane sugar, but it shouldn't have surprised me.  They toasted each other before starting on the Trough.

In the beginning they had to dig around to find the different flavors.

By the time they were half-way done everything was basically mixed together.

The last step is to stir everything together, once it's melted, and suck up the whole conglomeration with over-sized pink straws.  By this point a couple of the original "trough-ers" had had all they could eat, with only the two die-hards still going at it.  Two of the other fellows (who had already eaten what they ordered!) helped them finish it off.

Tommy timed them as they ate -- it took them a little over 20 minutes to finish all that ice cream!

I don't know how often the Spring Dipper gets groups of crazy college kids, but the elderly fellow who had prepared the Trough really seemed to enjoy having us.  We stood around for several minutes before heading back out to our cars, letting people's stomachs settle a little bit...  :-D

And now I can say that I have been to the Spring Dipper!

No comments:

Post a Comment