On Tuesday, September 28, Williams Baptist College hosted an Eco Fair, which was geared toward the middle school children of the surrounding towns. I was surprised at first: I thought it was only for WBC students. But it was certainly designed for younger children! I did enjoy walking around and looking at the various tables, but the main event of the Fair was for the children to go to the five (I believe) tables with activities and complete them in time to turn in their papers for a raffle ticket. I mostly enjoyed getting out into the beautiful evening and walking around.
The pattern on this horse was very distinct and -- at least in my opinion -- attractive. I don't think I've seen a line through a horse's color pattern that was as thick as this gray line was. That was not drawn onto the horse: it is his (her?) natural coloration.
This was the only activity in which I participated. I had gone earlier to walk through the tables, but had forgotten my camera, so it wasn't until I went back that there were so many children. The experiment that these two students exhibited was amazing. Apparently you can really make electricity from lemons! They had two pieces of metal, one copper and one zinc, that they had stuck into the rind of a lemon. Then they attached wires in the proper way and managed to get up enough electricity to put some numbers on their little meter. It took 3 lemons to do it, but I was still amazed. I never knew that the acid in lemons could work that way.
This activity didn't work out very well, unfortunately. They were trying to use solar power to roast marshmallows in a box lined with foil, but the sun kept going behind the clouds. They also had a car that runs on solar power and a fan that was supposed to turn. Too bad... I think the kids enjoyed the marshmallows anyway.
The college students could also enter the raffle, so I did, but as I stood there while they were calling out numbers I realized that my chances of winning anything were very slim. I had one ticket, but all of those kids had 6 or 7 tickets each. But winning isn't everything! :-) It was pleasant just to be outside. Also, I ended up standing with two of my Speech classmates, and after the raffle was over we went back to the dorm to one of their rooms and worked on homework together. That was a Good Thing (as A.A. Milne would put it). :-)
J'ai été impressionnée moi aussi par la taille du chat!!
ReplyDeleteQuand à l'expérience des citrons, il se passe une réaction chimique. A cause de l'acidité, le cuivre, et le zinc perdent des électrons. Il y a donc un mouvement de ces électrons, ce qui crée du courant électrique. La réaction chimique s'appelle "l'oxydo-réduction".
Grâce à ton blog, je suis contente d'avoir de tes nouvelles.
Que le Seigneur te bénisse et te garde dans sa main.
Je t'embrasse.
Sabine.