I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Heidi's Art Show

About the middle of June, I came home one evening to a Very Excited Heidi.  :-)  She was bouncing up and down as she pulled me over to the triangle where she presented me with two pieces of paper announcing the same event: an art show that would be held on the 4th 3rd of July.  She couldn't do it on the fourth because that was a Sunday.  Those who were interested in participating were to sign their names in the blank area underneath the announcement.

Art is not my strong suit, but I figured that if nothing else we could at least get some laughs from my attempts.  :-)  So, I signed up. 

A week or so went by, with me giving the contest no thought at all, until as July approached I suddenly realized that I'd better get on the ball if I was going to have my entry ready in time.  Several of the others had already completed their compositions (though I wasn't the last one to get around to it).  I set aside an evening to create my masterpiece, and worked on it with a certain someone hanging over my shoulder half the time.

Finally, the big evening arrived.  The show was supposed to commence at 7 o'clock, but as for some reason we were eating dinner late that evening it was rescheduled for 7:30.  In reality, it was held off -- with much anticipation -- until the kitchen was cleaned up.  (Okay, whose idea was that?!?!)

(Side comment: I'm not sure why, but we always seem to get silly when we all squash into Gretchen and Heidi's room for any kind of presentation that they organize....  It must have something to do with the awkwardness certain parties feel about invading said private property and being more intimate than usual with your neighbor.)

I was quite impressed by the submitted artwork.  There was a sampling of different subjects and mediums (what was used to create the art), and I know that I personally would have had a hard time judging!  Heidi -- the judge -- did confess that she also had a difficult time assigning the prizes, but nonetheless she boldly moved on to presenting the awards as soon as everyone had had a chance to examine the different entries.

Gretchen came in fourth, with a sketch of the clock that hangs on her wall. 

Mama took third place, with her free-hand copy of a horse and rider.

Second place went to Juli, who had done a pen-and-ink rendition of a mirror and candle wall piece that some dear friends of ours own.

Laurie, who has been enamored by a paper-doll website as of late, drew a paper-doll dress and received 1st prize.

I was quite surprised to discover that Heidi awarded my drawing with the trophy.  Since I am not very good at free-hand drawing, I had gotten our Beatrix Potter Treasury and copied (not traced) the picture of Hunca-Munca after she was converted from being one of the Two Bad Mice. 

What I really enjoyed about the art show was how Heidi (unconsciously) had planned an event that strengthened our family bonds.  I love the innocence and simplicity of young children who are not yet overly worried about precision in judging and "interrupting" peoples' evening schedules!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like fun, especially with family! I love all the drawings. :)

    ReplyDelete